South Pambula Real Estate Snapshot

South Pambula Why Live In South Pambula? History South Pambula is a village about 3 kilometres south of the town of Pambula. The area was originally populated by the Thaua Aboriginal people, with shell middens dating back 3000 years. The name Pambula is derived from its Dharwa name, pronounced \"panboola\", meaning \'twin waters’. In 1797, the European voyager George Bass explored the area. Captain John Lloyd, RN, acquired land in 1844 with his severance pay when he left the Royal Navy, and built The Grange on the hill near the Pambula river. At about that time he invited the family of Syms Covington to move there. Covington had joined the second survey expedition of HMS Beagle as a fiddler and cabin boy. He became an assistant and manservant to Charles Darwin during the voyage and for a few years afterwards before emigrating to Australia. In 1854 he became Postmaster of Pambula, and managed an inn called the Forest Oak Inn which still stands today. The main land uses were grazing and agriculture, and tented accommodation on stock routes was replaced by slab and bark huts, then by more permanent buildings providing homes, housing, smithies, and hotels. In 1888, gold was discovered and villages grew up around the mines at nearby Yowaka River and Pipeclay Creek. This created a boom in the town, but in the early 20th century production of gold ceased. Agriculture developed on the river flats, producing prize crops of maize and potatoes, and a dairying industry became established. Real Estate and Design The real estate in South Pambula has an old fashioned charm. Colonial style homes remain, some renovated and modernised and others not. The majority of these houses are built from weatherboard however several are from local stone and render. Later developments have contemporary brick and tile residences. There has been numerous new homes being built in the area, most built of corrugated iron, brick and tile. On the outskirts, many of the homes are traditional farm houses built from brick and weatherboard. Shopping South Pambula is home to the Teatree Cafe. It is a small, but convenient petrol station that offers hot food, essential groceries and petrol. The nearest shopping is in Pambula, only 3 minutes away that has a quirky mixture of shops leaning to the unusual, old fashioned or sustainable. A local grocery store, newsagency, butcher and post office is available in the center of Pambula. Larger supermarket chains, fashion shops, books and toy shops are located in Merimbula. Sports and Fitness Pambula has a local cricket team, the Pambula Bluedogs. Their home ground is located at the Pambula Recreation oval in the town\'s centre. The ground is also the home ground for the newly-created soccer club, Pambula United Football Club, also known as The Penguins. South Pambula is great for cycling, and many locals take advantage of the quiet roads. Distance from Cities and Transportation South Pambula is approximately 3 hours from Canberra, 6.5 hours from Sydney and 7 hours from Melbourne. There is limited public transport, however a local bus service does stop along the Princes Highway at the Mt. Darrah Road turnoff. State and Interstate bus services provide daily services to Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra from Merimbula or Bega. Merimbula airport has daily flights to Melbourne and Sydney. There are full bus services provided for all school aged children. Famous Landmarks If you cross the flats into South Pambula you will see \'The Grange\' on your right, built by Captain John Lloyd, a veteran of the battle of Trafalgar who, in 1844, received a grant of 300 acres in the area in lieu of retirement pay. It is believed that the stone used in its construction came from Devon as ship\'s ballast. At one time boats could be moored just below \'The Grange\' but the river changed its course in the floods of 1860. While settlers such as the Imlay Brothers employed and got on with the local Aborigines, others were less at ease. Lloyd had the windows of \'The Grange\' barred for this reason. At the junction of the road to Bombala, Mt. Darrah Road, is the former Roan Horse Inn (c. 1850s), one of the early caterers to the traffic, while further down the road is an old butter factory dating from the end of the nineteenth century. Restaurants and Cafes The Grange Restaurant is a beautiful restaurant steeped in local history and set on 13 acres of landscaped grounds. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner and is the perfect venue for a wedding or party. Fully licensed to seat 180, The Grange includes The Art Room and The Piano Room which can provide private dining for up to 35 people in each. There is regular live music and a great buffet that showcases the area’s local oysters and fresh produce. The Teatree Cafe offers hot food and coffee, but the nearest cafes are in Pambula. Schools, Education and Institutions Primary school aged children are able to attend the Pambula Public Primary School in Pambula. Private schooling for primary aged children is available at the Sapphire Coast Anglican College. Secondary students attend the Eden Marine High School or the Catholic College at Pambula, Lumen Christ Catholic College.
  • Suburb:South Pambula
  • Postcode:2549
  • Municipality:Bega Valley Shire Council